Activate America® Background
The Activate Gaston kickoff rally will be held at the Gaston Mall. Everyone is eligible to participate in this program. It is easy to register.
Just drop by the Gaston Mall between the hours of 12:00 pm and 7:00 pm on Monday, January 14, 2008 and you will be on your way to a healthier you!The kickoff will include:
- FREE T-shirts to the first 1,000 at Gaston Mall
- Registration for Activate Gaston
- First Official Weigh-In
- Activity Demonstrations (Zumba, Body Step, Jazzercise, Yoga, The World’s Strongest Man and more!)
- Free Health Screenings
- Sponsor Booths and much more!
The Gaston County Family YMCA, CaroMont Health, Gaston County Health Department, Gaston College, Gaston County Schools, Fitness and Nutrition Council and Gaston County Healthcare Commission combined resources to continue their effort to address the growing obestiy epidemic in our area and make Gaston County healthier.
- is a FREE year-round healthy living awareness program that targets youth and adult obesity and related diseases
- encourages participants to accumulate at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity five days per week
- provides Healthy Living information about nutrition, exercise and health education weekly
- sponsors regular weigh-ins and counseling
- presents “Health Talks,” a series of lectures by wellness and medical experts
- challenges everyone, young and old, to begin healthy eating and regular moderate-intensity exercise.
Regular physical activity reduces the risk of coronary heart disease, stroke, and high blood pressure. It helps control weight and contributes to healthy bones, muscles, and joints. It helps relieve the pain of arthritis and reduces the symptoms of anxiety and depression. People of all ages who are generally inactive can impove their health and well being by becoming active at a moderate-intensity on a regular basis.
Here is a good community investment:
CaroMont Healthcare, the for-profit management group which owns Gaston Memorial Hospital, and the Gaston County Family YMCA have partnered to offer wellness program opportunities to the communities.
Each of the YMCA branches will be hosts to a Nurse Practioner to provide health screenings, classes, and other programs as part of the overall Activate America program.
The YMCA and CaroMont are two of the partners in the Gaston Community Health Care Commission and the Get Fit! Gaston program.
This is a good use of community reinvestment dollars and brings together two leading providers of critical need services to Gaston County.