MMMMM…sweeeet, — uh, suuu-eeeeee?
(Picture not related to story, but we thought it was cool – this is Wilber, the mascot of Dave’s Brick Barbeque Pit of Lexington, NC)
The Charlotte Observer, ever-present, and ever thought provoking, offers up a story about the Cheerwine Championship Cooking team.
And, we like the results:
Championship Cheerwine Barbecue Sauce
Mix the following in a large pot over high heat:
• One 12-ounce can of Cheerwine
• 5 ounces molasses
• 6 ounces brown sugar
• 10 ounces your favorite brand barbecue sauce
• 2 ounces white distilled vinegar
• 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
• 1 ounce liquid smoke
Bring to boil while stirring. Cool, pour in container and refrigerate. Makes approximately 32 ounces of sauce. Good with pork, chicken or beef.